 Robotics / 26083
Re: When is "off" off?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 13 Jun 2006 14:51:18 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Mitchell Lichtenberg wrote:
If I attach a motor to a battery box and twist the motor arbor I get resistance
EVEN if the battery box is switched off.  This means that the current,generated
by the motor, is getting through, correct? Is the current just bridging the
contacts or is it going through to the batteries?  Is there a 'drain' condition
if motors are left plugged into battery boxes or RCXs?  I know the gurus out
there can give me an answer.  Thanks.

The RCX has the capability to place a resistance accross its output terminals.
Removing that resistance provides the free spinning behavior enabled by one of
the programmable features. Inserting the resistance gives tighter control of
motor speed. I don't have a schematic handy, but there's no conceptual reason
why providing resistance across an output has to require power from the supply.

-Ted