 Robotics / 25896
Re: NXT interface
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 5 May 2006 21:54:44 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, John Hansen wrote:

Using my BrickTool utility to list the files on my NXT you get this output:

C:\winapps\projects\BricxCC>bricktool /BT /COM=COM4 /Target=7 -listfiles
rooster_simple.rxe=9216
Bono8.rxe=17210
a6.rxe=14776
Recorder.rxe=8668
Raw Count2.rxe=3600
LineFollower4.rxe=10488
Remote-1.rxe=5254
fileio.rxe=3444
ScreenSaver_bug.rxe=384
ScreenSaver_nob.rxe=318
DivTest.rxe=240
text_try.rxe=260
whileloop.rxe=162
2tones.rxe=198
iomap_freemem.rxe=480

The first eight files are written in NXTGL using the LEGO Mindstorms NXT
software.  The last seven files are writtin in NBC using BricxCC to compile and
download the programs.  Admittedly, the NBC programs are all trivial programs
But you can see plainly see the order of magnitude difference in executable file
size.

Sounds great! Are you able to determine how much memory a program takes up while
it's running? And how much memory is free?

Here's a partial NXT menu system diagram.

NXT Program
|- Info screen

Info Screen (followed by pick move for slot 1)
|- Fwd 5 - Fwd - Turn Right 2 - Turn Right - Back Right 2 - Back Right - Tone 1
- Tone 2 - Back Left 2 - Back Left - Turn Left - Turn Left 2 - Empty - Backward
- Backward 5

Slot 2
|- Empty - Wait 2 - Wait 5 - Wait 10 - Object - Sound - Light - Dark - Touch

Slot 3 (same as slot 1)

Slot 4 (same as slot 2)

Slot 5
|- Stop - Loop

Hmmm the purpose of these slots are one thing thats not immediately obvious (to
my old brain anyway), can you explain more about what they are and how they are
used?

ROSCO