 Robotics / 2573
2572  |  2574
Subject:
Trig and vectors
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 8 Jan 1999 20:23:46 GMT

I want my little explorer bot to be able to make "intelligent" judgements
of how to maneuver itself out of areas when it is stuck in a corner or
another narrow space. To accomplish this I want it to have a modest
capability to remember obstructions it encountered nearby - to have a small
map of recent obstructions so to say.

To accomplish this I am trying to implement simple trig and vector
calculations in NQC. Using a table I obtain sin and cos values to calculate
the directional vector of the bot, and using this I aproximate the relative
position in a 2D coordinate system. I intend to store obstuctions as
coordinates in an array, and the bot is to take these into account
constantly when setting out a new direction for its travel.

I use a "angle system" where there is 64 units in a circle, this seems to
be accurate enough. I keep track of the heading of the bot in much higher
resolution and convert back to the 64 degree system when need be. I use
fractioned integers for the values so that 100 == 1.0, 150 == 1.5 etc. I
don't see the 16 bit limit on integers as a big problem as I will only be
able to store and keep accurate information that will be within an area
described by numbers in the -32000 -> 32000 range.

I need ideas for efficient ways to implement tangent and inverse tangent in
NQC and I need ideas for how I can treat a number of variable positions
(say 16) as an array of coordinates. I know this will probably be much
easier to implement in C under LegOS, but I do not feel ready for that
quite now.

btw. : Would it be possible to use floating-point math using gcc and legos?

Simen
-
Simen Svale Skogsrud; Producer, Medieoperatørene as
phone: +47 22 99 27 35; mobile: +47 90 77 90 24;
fax: 22 20 64 21; Corp. web: http://www.mop.no
-
Filmsuksess på nettet:
http://www.filmredaksjonen.no