 Robotics / 25729
25728  |  25730
Subject:
Connect Galvanometer to a NXT motor port
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 10 Mar 2006 02:25:07 GMT

I would like to be able to connect a Galvanometer to the NXT. Using this
galvanometer with the ultrasound sensor attached one could get a wide angular
"look" of any obstacles within one snapshot in time. Essentially creating a
"radar".

The other use I would have for a galvanometer would be to create what we used to
call the "Pink Floyd Laser Lightshow". By adding small mirrors to the
galvanometers, positioning them at right angles to one another and pointing a
strong narrow light source (have used a basic laser on an control labs setup) at
one you can create your own laser lightshow.  The galvanometers we had used in
this controls lab were open loop so we had to model the galvanometers from
experimental data and then would simply multiply out the inverse transfer
function.  Then preplotting the data we would feed various voltages to the
galvanometers and presto we would have a fairly good image on the wall.  This is
one of those things that I always thought would be really cool to reproduce with
the Mindstorm sets.

Ed