 Robotics / 25691
25690  |  25692
Subject:
Studless hopper design #2.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 3 Mar 2006 07:25:58 GMT

New pics of my latest studless hopper design.  A big improvement on the old
design, although there is still a lot of oddities encountered trying to
piece it together.

This one feeds plates and therefore doesn't actually feed basketballs, the
slope is a little too steep for the basketballs to come out of there with
the low-profile tread links.

I apologize for the large photo size, however, this is because it seems to
bring out the best detail.

Photo 5 (first photo) - note the quick-release gear clutch mechanism which
apparently designed itself.  :D  Also please note the weird means of
attaching studless to studded and going around right-angles.

Photo 6 - The tread link assembly which feeds the plates out of the hopper -
surprisingly, this was the easiest part to design, and is fairly rigid in
it's construction.

Photo 7 - The underside of the hopper and where the main drive assembly is
attached.  Note the amount of construction that went into getting the motor
mounted on something that connects to studless beams.

Photo 8 - It's quite difficult to put 2 studless beams side-by-side and
attach them properly, however, this seems to do the job fairly well.

Photo 9 - Closeup of the gears that are quite literally sitting on top of
the motor.  I had to do quite a bit of turning to get the gear reduction
ratio going.  At the moment, the technic bricks holding the gears there are
not tied down by anything  more than stud friction although the area will be
strengthened after I get some ideas on how to properly tie them down to the
motor.

Photo 10 - Closeup of the gears tieing the drivetrain into the chain links.
That hopper was quite a challenge to build studless.

Photo 11 - If I pull that red bushing far enough it disengages the
drivetrain.  Or if it decides to vibrate enough it'll cut out automatically.
Not quite what I had in mind, but a good emergency stop measure.

Photo 12 - The right-angle would be a lot harder if it weren't for these
double bevel gears.  It's quite a feat getting them to line up on the
studless liftarms and bricks so that they'll engage properly.

As the caption for the folder suggests, the next challenge here is getting
it to feed plates to something which will hopefully do somethng with them.

Comments, questions, building tips (particularly studless) all appreciated.

Cheers ...

Geoffrey Hyde

Spam sent to the email address in the headers of this post will be reported
and deleted as I am quite capable of using Google to find what I need.