 Robotics / 25610
Re: Motor Analysis
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 20 Feb 2006 02:46:21 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Jutta Rossmaier wrote:
In lugnet.robotics, Andrew Meyer wrote:
The FLL team that I mentor has several hundred motors, both the new and the old
ones. This wealth of motors got me thinking "Well, out of that size a sample,
there's gotta be two that are perfectly matched, and some that are close. I
should analyze all of them..."

I use the LEGO speedometer (5206) to find matching motors for my robotics
classes. Works reasonably well. Fast and easy.

I wouldn't go too far in this exercise of matching motors.

Even if you were to able to get two perfectly matched motors on your robot,
chances are it will still not go perfectly straight due to many other factors.

Notably, if you have a rotation sensor coupled to one motor as happens in the
FLL where you are allowed only one rotation sensor. What the kids do is to build
a simulated rotation sensor for the motor on the other side so the load on the
two motors are better balanced.

The solution is to get the robot to move fairly straight and use other methods
to get to the target objects on the playing field.

C S Soh

http://www.firstlegoleague.org/nobanner.aspx?pid=10570