 Robotics / 2550
RE: IR Transmission Range when bounced off of Ceiling...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 8 Jan 1999 12:26:18 GMT

Ok!

You need to sacrifice distance for capabilities!!

David

-----Mensaje original-----
De: Laurentino Martins [mailto:lmartins@marktest.pt]
Enviado el: Viernes 8 de Enero de 1999 07:14 AM
Para: Lego-Robotics
Asunto: Re: IR Transmission Range when bounced off of Ceiling...

At 23:18 07-01-1999 Thursday , you wrote:
Someone may have tried this experiment already, but I figured • I'd give it a
shot and post the results.

The setup: IR Tower pointed straight up at a White Stucco'ed
Ceiling from 8" above ground level (at sensor front).

Used RcxCC's "Watching the RCX" control panel w/ it's
Autopoll feature at 1 sec Freq turned onto light sensor
and all 4 timers.

RCX set on ground w/ IR ports pointing straight up.
Moved RCX away from IR tower until loss of signal.

White Stucco ceiling (you know, the rough surface)
Height approx 12 feet.

Results: Maximum reliable range for reception was approx 20 feet
as measured from RCX to Tower on ground.

Seems to me this would be pretty good for most any robot that • only has to
wander around a single room.  A reasonable substitute for • Cybermaster's RF
Xmitt capabilities. [...]

You must be kidding!!! Hahaha :-)
I want you to see you controlling that RCX from the other side of
the house, across a living room, a zigzagging hall and a kitchen,
almost 20 meters away!
;-D

Laurentino Martins   *<||:-)

[mailto:lau@mail.telepac.pt]