 Robotics / 25467
Re: Question Burst
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 25 Jan 2006 20:35:16 GMT

Hi Andrew,

Im sure other people will be able to fill in with more information, but
I might be able to point you in a few directions.

Andrew Meyer wrote:

Question 1:
  Are the omniwheels at <http://www.charmedlabs.com/productsmain.htm> worth
US$9.00? I am considering the purchase of 5-6, and $9 seems a bit much.

WOW, nice wheels.  I do not own any, but they sure do look spiffy.  if
your OK with non lego pure, these might be an easy way to accomplish
omni-direction.

Question 2:
  To the GBC guys: How do you efficiently project a ball from a Lego robot
several feet? I would like to build a semiscale model for my FRC team, game
animation here: <http://robotics.nasa.gov/events/first/AimHigh-Sml.mov>

While I have not fired a soccer ball, I have built a Shock absorber
spring powered 2x2 block shooter.

There is an upcoming  multi-robot autonomous block transfer game, that
looks like it has similar goals as the First link you posted.

Info on this game is here:

http://peach.mie.utoronto.ca/events/lego/lego-rtl20/

Many people are thinking that a omni-direction robot is the way to go.
I will be building a lego killough platform.  Others will be
using syncro drives.

Leo has some fantastic info on lego killough platforms here.

http://staff.science.uva.nl/~leo/lego/killough.html

As well, if you google lego killough platforms, there are a wealth of
examples that might offer you other ideas.

"http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=lego+killough+platform&btnG=Google+Search

Back to shooting balls.

These are a few shots of the device I made that was inspired by
something Derek brought to a show/tell one day.

http://www.thepyroguys.com/r20/100_4383.JPG

the black thing at the left is what I need to shoot the blocks into.

http://www.thepyroguys.com/r20/100_4387.JPG

this is a close up, of a 4 "cog"  mechanism, that slowly compresses 2
spring shock absorbers, then at the tip, will release the stored energy.

http://www.thepyroguys.com/r20/100_4388.JPG

this is a top view that shows the block (the white square)

http://www.thepyroguys.com/r20/100_4389.JPG

this is a top view that shows the block (the yellow 1x2 brick with hole
in it landed on its side) and the springs are in mid compression

http://www.thepyroguys.com/r20/100_4390.JPG

this is a over all back end view of the robot aiming at the "transfer
opening"  (and my messy desk)

Question 4:
  Does anyone know if there is a source for Lego-compatible mecanum wheels?
These are similar to omniwheels, but the rollers are at an angle to the wheel,
allowing holonomic movement (and regular turning!) with just four wheels.
Wikipedia link here: <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mecanum_wheel>

Andrew Meyer

while not a "true" Mecanum, Philo has a fantastic example of an all lego
design that might be what your looking for:

http://philohome.com/rama/rama.htm

Good luck with your robot.  Keep us posted.  I might look into buying
some of those wheels for myself.

Chris