 Robotics / 25332
Re: Why Java for Robots
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 18 Jan 2006 19:07:23 GMT

At 08:47 AM 1/18/2006, PeterBalch wrote:
Laurent Desnogues wrote:
How would you tell your C compiler that the real range of the
color sensor is 0..4 and not 0..3?  No static analysis will
get that!

I wouldn't use C. I'd use a language that has sub-range types and I'd
_tell_ the compiler the range of the color sensor.

Peter

Perhaps the best answer is to have the sensor tell you itself. You do
this with "tagging memory" associated with each sensor and actuator.
This is similar to IEEE1451, the smart sensor spec.

We have developed and are using such a scheme on robots, and will
make all the code, specs, etc public by end of January. It will be
posted in the java.net robotics community, as open source.

We have presented this idea to the OMG robotics standards committee
and are proposing it be part of their emerging robotics standards.

This isn't a language question, it's a distributed control, and "how
do I program a number of different robots with one code base" question.

This was the subject of a JavaOne talk in 2005, you can get the
presentation here:
http://www.systronix.com/appearances.html - just scroll down to the
JavaOne 2005 area.

Bruce