 Robotics / 25113
Re: Hot Mindstorms NXT News from MacWorld
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 11 Jan 2006 19:42:32 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, William R. Ward wrote:
   (This message also appears on my blog: http://www.brickpile.com/2006/01/11/hot-mindstorms-nxt-news-from-macworld/) Finally, he confirmed that the NXT units can talk to one another using Bluetooth (but not using USB, as the NXT’s USB port is “slave only”), and that they will have a single address space rather than the current RCX design which segments the memory into five partitions for different programs.

Bill, thanks for the report. The above is what I think most of us speculated but now you have confirmed, multiple NXT’s form a piconet!

I suspect from the last comment that perhaps the initial firmware only runs one program at a time that has access to the entire address space?? Was this true of the RCX as or could you upload multiple apps and run them concurrently?

I will guess the development paradigm will be to use the stripped down customized LabView program to graphically design your application, upload it to the NXT, and run it. The firmware on the NXT is really simple and runs one application at a time that has access to the whole address space. Since there might not be a real MMU implemented on the chip, this would make sense in terms of firmware/OS simplicity.

-aps