 Robotics / 25020
  Re: mindstorms NXT and memory

(...) Well, *any* machine is harder to program at machine code level. If you mean assembly, I diagree. I spent the first 18 years of my career on IBM mainframes, and the last 5 on SPARC machines. They each have their advantages and disadvantage from (...) (18 years ago, 9-Jan-06, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: mindstorms NXT and memory

(...) That could have something to do with the fact that the x86 architecture is extremely low on registers, pretty much all of which have special functions (CX for counting, BX for addressing, AX:DX for multiplications, SI+DI for memory copying). (...) (18 years ago, 9-Jan-06, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: mindstorms NXT and memory

Another possibility for the grinder bunch is seeing if the onboard flash chip can be SMT desoldered and replaced with a larger capacity model with the same pinout. I'm assuming there will be various third-party OSes to run on NXT pretty quickly, so (...) (18 years ago, 9-Jan-06, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: mindstorms NXT and memory

(...) Kevin, does that have to be true though? I'm wondering if a better strategy would have been to sell the NXT Core kit at a slight loss but try to make it up on expansion sets? (sort of like the game console market) Give the NXT more (...) (18 years ago, 9-Jan-06, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: mindstorms NXT and memory

(...) I doubt it -- for game consoles, the computer is useless without the 'expansion sets'. For Mindstorms, most consumers will be happy with the basic product; expansion sets are add-ons, not required purchases. I don't see a way to transform (...) (18 years ago, 9-Jan-06, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: mindstorms NXT and memory

(...) That's a really good point. I suspect LEGO feels that the basic, core set should cover all the bases to make access to Mindstorms/NXT easier for kids and their parents. Though there still maybe avenues in the future to offer a more advanced (...) (18 years ago, 9-Jan-06, to lugnet.robotics)