 Robotics / 25
Re: RoboSports: Player 4
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 30 Sep 1998 12:47:52 GMT

I looked at the two Mindstorms expansion sets very carefully, and though
I was somewhat taken aback by the price, I was impressed with the
caliber of Robosports. It seems to have been inspired by what MIT's
robotics competition (from what I've read on Fred Martin's page--needless
to say, I spend a lot of time on that page).

I haven't bought it yet. I am probably going to stick it on my "Christmas list".
Although, I haven't seen any Santa's yet. I can't wait to climb up on his lap
and tell him what I want this Christmas.

For all of you that are suddenly wondering how old I am, I am 34, and yes,
I still believe in Santa Claus.

Suzanne D. Rich wrote in message <361190F5.7F9626D1@javanet.com>...
Did anyone else try building this RoboSports model that lifts and flings the
foam balls?

I'm a total newbie to robotics, but I was wondering what folks thought about
this design. I thought it was quite clever.  I built it in hopes of using it
with ping pong balls but its design requires the give of the softer ball.

I built only part of it. It makes a nice optional front-end attachment. After
encountering a ball, it lifts left and right with rubber wheels. It gets held
up there by the third point (the front wall), to be kicked from below.

With the addition of a scooper or other provider of continuous supply, you've
got yourself a popcorn popper kinda thing. Success rate was high on that design.

I scanned mine, top view, for those interested:
http://www.baseplate.com/temp/player4.jpg

-Suz.