 Robotics / 24814
  Re: mindstorms NXT

(...) Actually, the RCX outputs 0's and 1's to power the motors as it is right now. It uses Pulse Width Modulation (PWM). Basically for 1/3 power 1/3 of the pulse is 1 and the other 2/3 is 0. For full power, the signal is all 1. This creates a (...) (18 years ago, 5-Jan-06, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: mindstorms NXT

(...) I doubt that will do what you want. The RCX motor ports are equipped with motor drivers - ICs that can provide rather a lot of current, switch direction, and even short circuit the port. The digital wires would be I/O, not meant for noticeable (...) (18 years ago, 6-Jan-06, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: mindstorms NXT

(...) I see no other wires into the motors, which means all the current is coming from that one connection. Whether or not there is separate supply and control lines in that connector is debatable until we get our hands on one - I would prefer not, (...) (18 years ago, 6-Jan-06, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: mindstorms NXT

(...) I think that saying the RCX outputs 0's and 1's to the motor may be a bit misleading with respect to considerations of digital signalling. It is true that the CPU inside the RCX creates a logic level (1's and 0's) PWM signal intended for the (...) (18 years ago, 6-Jan-06, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: mindstorms NXT

(...) From the LEGO NXT FAQ... "An electric motor whose speed or position is controlled by a closed loop feedback circuit that can sense its position. The speed of the motor is measured by a tachometer. The tachometer produces a voltage that is (...) (18 years ago, 8-Jan-06, to lugnet.robotics)