 Robotics / 2476
Re: Pneumatic Tanks
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 7 Jan 1999 15:32:45 GMT

Well, you can break those bottles...

In high school, we made squirt guns out of plastic 2 litre pop (soda)
bottles and about $20 worth of pipe fittings from the local hardware
store.  These thing were quite the beasts, compared to the little
hand trigger guns we were used to (this was a couple years before the
'super soaker' type guns were on the market).  They had 1/4 inch
nozzles and shot about 50 feet.

Anyway, we used my dads air compressor to pump them up to about 100
lbs of pressure.  The gun could actually unload the full two litres
of water in just about 10 seconds or so at this pressure.  We used
to take them to school and have fights in the hallways between
class.  One time, my friend had his stored in his locker most of
the day where it was fairly cool.  At one point during the day
he put it into his backpack, so he could take it to his next class.
Well, the classroom was quite a bit warmer than the locker, and
about half way through class... BOOM! -- The gun exploded!  I
was not lucky enough to be there to experience it, but it was
reportedly very loud.  So yes the bottles will burst, if coaxed
enough :)

Incidentally, he did not get into any trouble, since it was in
physics class that this happened, and his (our) physics teacher
already new about the guns and was impressed with them (though
he was upset that it had exploded in the middle of his class. :)

Eric Eilebrecht <lego-robotics@crynwr.com> wrote in message
3C3175FCC945D211B65100805F1580890140A911@RED-MSG-07...
I actually did a project in college that involved water rockets made out of
pop bottles.  We used a bicycle pump to pressurize the bottles.  We found
that the pump would break before the bottle did.