 Robotics / 24679
Re: Vehicle with square wheels
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 7 Dec 2005 02:15:57 GMT

Jordan Bradford wrote:
I saw this linked on Slashdot:

<http://www.prweb.com/releases/2005/12/prweb316686.htm>

I liked it too.

I think I'll try building one of these, if I can get the offset angle to work.
It's 1/4 of 90 degrees, according to the article.

My first thought was also of a Lego solution.  I also got stuck at the
point where I'd have to have plates at 22.5 degree offsets - however,
I think I have an elegant solution that I came up with on the drive
home this evening:

I think it's possible by taking two axles with a crown gear on the end
of each.  Then you can mesh the two gears at any angle you choose to
make (in effect) a long axle with the two '+' cross-sections of the ends
aligned at almost any angle.

You have to finagle some kind of U-shaped clamp to hold the gears
together - but that's easy.

> The way this vehicle is set up, it only moves in a straight line.
> How might one steer it? Shifting the center of gravity? Disconnecting
> one of the wheels from the others temporarily?

The developer claims he has some ideas for steering...no mention of what
they are though.

You can't disconnect a wheel because you'd lose the 22.5 degree offset
to the other wheels and the whole vehicle would come to a permenant
halt.

Maybe you could accellerate the rotating weight as it passes down
one side of the vehicle and slow it down as it goes down the other
side.

Perhaps you just use a huge gyroscopic flywheel to steer with.