 Robotics / 24649
Re: Bluetooth
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sat, 3 Dec 2005 22:00:16 GMT

Thx for the response! Here is some more background information about the
project. It’s part of a course in Digital design with VHDL (that is why I use a
FPGA). Hopefully they (my department at the university) will use the interface
in some course later for non-science students. So I got the restrictions that I
should not modify the RCX, it should be compatible with Lego’s standard firmware
and most of all easy to use. So I think I’m stuck with the 2400 baud rates
limit.

Have a look at http://www-date.uni-paderborn.de/pub/people/dasas/Beh03.pdf
Here you reach much higher baud rates

My German is not so good, but still very interesting reading!!(I studied German
for 2 years in high school and I just barley past it)

I’ll use a Bluetooth module BR-SC30A, class 1 from Blueradion. It takes care of
all the "Bluetooth stuff", including error checking. You just need to connect it
more or less to the UART port (a serial port) and you are ready to go. All the
settings are done with AT commands either from the UART port or through the
Bluetooth radio from example the PC.
Check this link to se how easy it’s to use it!
http://www.sparkfun.com/tutorial/BlueTooth/bluetooth_primer.htm

You will probably want rectification, and need smoothing to get a nice constant voltage
(some regulator in the LM series) to power the board.

Thx! How about the switching regulators? They are supposed to be more efficient
then "normal" voltage regulators. My board will run on +3.3V.

Best regards,
Johan

PS I’ve no connection to sparkfun which is by the way a cool shop.

In lugnet.robotics.rcx, danny staple <orionrobots@gmail.com> wrote:

Beware of the fact that the outputs on the RCX output PWM. You will
probably want rectification, and need smoothing to get a nice constant
voltage (some regulator in the LM series) to power the board.

Anyway - it sounds like a really good idea - I like it.
--
Danny Staple MBCS
OrionRobots