 Robotics / 24574
24573  |  24575
Subject:
I bet this has never happened to anybody.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sun, 27 Nov 2005 23:03:33 GMT

I just got freaked out momentarily. As you may have read I accidentally deleted
a program the other day. I found the backup and renamed it. I used a name very
similar to the old name.

I use a batch file to load both firmware and my program. Anyway I clicked on the
batch file to load the firmware knowing that it would fail when trying to
download the program, but it DIDN'T FAIL. It downloaded the whole program just
as normal. I thought "that can't be, I overwrote that program".

The batch file failed with the same memory overflow error I always get (I use
memory clear and download manually in Bricxcc to get round that).

So the ghost of my program loaded into the RCX. My first thought was it was
downloading the compiled source file rather than the program file, but I
instantly realised NQC doesn't use compiled source code files it compiles on the
fly.

It took me a minute but then I worked it out. My batch files use the ms-dos
naming convention with a "~". What had happened was when I renamed the backup
using a long filename the system had given the file the same short dos name as
my original file (because I'd deleted the overwritten file freeing up the short
name) so it worked perfectly loading the backup instead.

Isn't it weird how things can happen like that?

Steve