 Robotics / 24558
Re: NQC Programmers do it on one line
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 24 Nov 2005 20:53:30 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Thomas Chesney wrote:
Hey, thanks for this.

The IOCCC (International Obfuscated C Code Competition) isn't about
writing things in as few lines as possible (although there is a pretty
tight limit on the maximum size of entries).

I did realise this although I think there are contests for writing short C progs???

The objective of the contest is to write the most difficult to read
and/or understand program possible.  The limit on the size of the
entries is mostly for the sake of the sanity of the judges who have
to at least make an effort to understand the code in order to form
an opinion about which is the most 'obfuscated'.

And obfuscated code is not limited to C - the Perl community has a culture of
enjoying obfuscated code, see: http://perlmonks.org/?node=Obfuscated%20Code

On 1-liners, when I had my Apple ][+ in the early 80s, there was a magazine
called "Nibble" which ran 1 and 2 liner contests using the built-in Apple BASIC.
I won 1 month with a simple 2-line driving game, only forced to go to 2 lines
because the command line input buffer was limited to 254 characters. I wish I'd
kept a copy, but alas I must have thrown it out at some stage.

ROSCO