 Robotics / 24417
24416  |  24418
Subject:
Studless version of feed hopper - need help.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 30 Sep 2005 07:39:27 GMT

Below are 5 pics of a studless version of a feed hopper I've been working on
with some Technic elements out of 8436.

But I have a slight problem which I need some advice on the best way to fix.

The hopper itself is made up of some Technic LiftArm 1x9 bent (7x3) thick
(BL part ID 32271) - unfortunately due to the way these come together at the
bottom, they don't line up perfectly with a studless beam hole so when I
went to assemble it I had to use axles and flexible parts to get it to go
together.  Unfortunately this has the slight problem of making it next to
impossible to properly close gaps in the hopper bottom, meaning I need some
advice from someone familiar with dealing with studless construction
methods.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/ghyde/studlesshopper/phot0001.jpg

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/ghyde/studlesshopper/phot0002.jpg

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/ghyde/studlesshopper/phot0003.jpg

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/ghyde/studlesshopper/phot0004.jpg

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/ghyde/studlesshopper/phot0005.jpg

If anyone has suggestions I'd appreciate it.  I'd also appreciate
suggestions on whether there's a better studless construction method for
hopper assemblies.

If this posting is in the wrong newsgroup please set followups accordingly.

More pics and perhaps a short .mpeg file will follow soon.  It works pretty
well dropping about 20 balls down with a 99% success rate (the odd pair of
balls does manage to get wedged now and then but are easily freed) and could
easily handle large volume applications with a little extra construction.
:)

--
Cheers ...

Geoffrey Hyde