 Robotics / 24364
Re: startup questions RIS 2.0
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 13 Sep 2005 22:42:20 GMT

programmer, you will probably find either NQC or BrickOS (a full Open
Source firmware replacement OS) more suitable. There is also Robolab -
but unless you are of the LabView background of visual languages for
digital test equipment programming, it will be a very alien system to
work with. Plus - of the three advanced systems, it is the only one
that is not free. Finally - there is also the Mindscript code which
comes hidden away on the supplied disks - I am not very familiar with
it though.

The alternative programming systems may have issues under win2k, and I
am afraid that may be simply a matter of trying them and seeing. It
really depends upon what mechanism they use to enumerate and utilise
the USB Tower.

Welcome to the Community, it is quite freindly here so dont be too shy
to ask questions.

Many thanks! Friendly indeed.

Looks like its NQC for me - very well documented, widely used,  and clearly the
recent versions claim support for the USB tower.  Also BrickOS was too much like
UNIX for me. I am more comfortable with Windows based programming languages.

OK, now to find a few free days to get this up and running.

Cheers.
Gyl