 Robotics / 24362
Re: startup questions RIS 2.0
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 13 Sep 2005 12:56:35 GMT

Okay - when I got my first serial based RCX tower, I had no issues
with Win2k, but with the USB device, it is really a matter of the
drivers. If you have got it working with the current drivers, then you
will be fine.

On the supplied disks, there is the Lego Code language, which is a
very simple teaching language. If you are already an experienced
programmer, you will probably find either NQC or BrickOS (a full Open
Source firmware replacement OS) more suitable. There is also Robolab -
but unless you are of the LabView background of visual languages for
digital test equipment programming, it will be a very alien system to
work with. Plus - of the three advanced systems, it is the only one
that is not free. Finally - there is also the Mindscript code which
comes hidden away on the supplied disks - I am not very familiar with
it though.

The alternative programming systems may have issues under win2k, and I
am afraid that may be simply a matter of trying them and seeing. It
really depends upon what mechanism they use to enumerate and utilise
the USB Tower.

In terms of the archives/history, this newsgroup is actually a part of
the lugnet online groups. So if you go to
http://www.lugnet.com/robotics/ then you will find a searchable
history of the Lugnet group. There is also much other information
hosted around the internet, inlcuding my own site
http://orionrobots.co.uk.

Welcome to the Community, it is quite freindly here so dont be too shy
to ask questions.
--
http://orionrobots.co.uk - Build Robots