 Robotics / 24295
24294  |  24296
Subject:
FischerTechnik
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sun, 28 Aug 2005 10:20:52 GMT

late last night I stumbled onto their website:
http://www.fischertechnik.com/
Does anyone have a set, and/or have any experience building with it?  How
does it compare to Mindstorms?

I used to have fischertechnik but sold it and bought lego. My objections to
fischertechnik were:

It's bigger and heavier for the same mechanical functionality. So you need
bigger motors, batteries, etc.

The bricks don't click into "integer" positions but can slide around and so
require more bracing.

The axles are round so it's harder to fix the phase relationships of gears.
I was interested in building walking machines where fixed phase
relationships are essential.

I haven't looked at fischertechnik in 15 years so maybe these problems have
been solved.

Peter