 Robotics / 2414
RE: RCX Limitations, griping, etc. :)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 6 Jan 1999 14:50:53 GMT

For those concerned about the RCX limitations, buy a fischertechnik
mobile robot. The interface has four outputs and eight inputs. More
sensors are also available. See their latest industry robot kit.

-----Original Message-----
From: Jim West [SMTP:jwest@frii.com]
Sent: Wednesday, January 06, 1999 3:30 AM
To: lego-robotics@crynwr.com
Subject: Re: RCX Limitations, griping, etc. :)

At 12:24 AM 1/6/99 +0000, Mark Tarrabain wrote:
>Only 3 input ports... only 3 output ports... no
expandability...  The
>only redeeming thing for it from a programmer's point of view
is LegOS.

  Ahhhh....but alas my friend, that is where the challenge lies.
Hey...the
Apollo missions had less to work with. :)

>ARGH!!!
>
>Okay... I'll try to calm down.  Lessee...what are the
alternatives?

>Well, there's the MIT Programmable Brick.. But that's a
research project
>at MIT, and there are no plans to commercially sell it.  Can't
get my
>hands on one.

  Well...the RCX *is* the commercialized version of the MIT
work.

>There's the Cricket.  Hrm... nope.  Only two motor outputs.
Further,
>again, it's an internal project, with no plans for
commercialization.
>Again, can't get my hands on one.

  Yep, I agree.

>There's the Handyboard...  Okay, now *THIS* has potential.  But
there's
>no readily obvious way to adapt it to a real LEGO mindset.
It's a bare
>motherboard that is subjected to the elements, is delicate, has
no nice
>and  easy to follow directions in how to adapt it to plug into
any LEGO
>pieces, and overall just isn't suited to unplanned play.  I can
probably
>get one of them quite easily, but then what?

  ...and just a tad too large to put into an "empty" RCX case.

>Am I frustrated?  Well... maybe just a little.

  Heh.  Buy two LEGO sets and call us in the morning.

>I'll shut up now.
>
>Thanks for listening. :)

  Anytime.

http://www.crynwr.com/lego-robotics