 Robotics / 24052
Re: Bluetooth etc.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 3 Jun 2005 13:32:31 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Bruce Boyes <bboyes@systronix.com> wrote:
Quoting Claude Baumann <cbaumann@ci.educ.lu>:

As I announced earlier, we are still working on the "directly wiring a
camera..." project. Things work very well now and the project was and
still is a
great occasion in learning more.

http://www.convict.lu/Jeunes/RCXCam/RCXCam_Journal.htm

Unless I'm missing something this I2C only accesses the control interface of
the camera, not the data from the camera?

The journal is extensively long... We abandoned the idea of I2C access control
to the camera module. Instead we switched to the CMUCam2 module, that operates
some useful image preprocessing. The communication is ordinary serial.

Because "learning" is the bulk of the Mindstorms project, learning
while playing
and having fun. The RCX was (and still is ) edge technology in a
didactical-educational environment.

Please have a look at :

http://www-date.uni-paderborn.de/pub/people/dasas/Beh03.pdf

where you find an amazing introduction to an experimental Bluetooth
application
with the RCX. This project inspired us a lot. (Unfortunately the
document is in
German, but you'll understand significantly what I mean.)

There's a lot of detail about how BT works here (in German). If I understand
the schematics, the BT hardware is one of the serial-to-BT adapters, so it's
acting like a point-to-point RS-232 to wireless adapter. One photo shows
three? RCXs, so maybe they modified the code in the BT adapter to allow using
more than 2 nodes with the serial BT adapter?

Bruce

Negative for the RS-232 to wireless point-to-point !

1. affirmative: serial to BT adapters (no RS232 voltages, but TTL)
2. configuration as a pico-net (no point-to-point) max. 7 connections

Don't know, if pico-net can be extended to scatter-net. Didn't try to reproduce
the project.

- Claude