 Robotics / 23994
RE: Mindstorms history
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 19 May 2005 16:24:22 GMT

FYI, I tried it from home and had no access. I work at a university and
tried it on campus and got it for free (I guess our university subscribes to
the publication service.) So, if you have access to a university you might
want to go to campus and try the link on campus to have access.

The article looks very well done, well researched. The abstract states,
"This article addresses the relative lack of empirical studies of how
self-managed teams in high velocity environments handle unexpected critical
incidents. It presents an interpretive case study of the LEGO Mindstorms
project team, and focuses in particular on how this team responded to three
critical incidents. Our study results in three core findings concerning how
this team responded to the unexpected in its high velocity environment.
These include: the importance of increasing presence; creating a context for
a shared and emotionally grounded identity; and developing a shared set of
guiding principles for action, behaviour, and decision-making. The authors
further describe interconnections among these three core findings, proposing
a higher-level 'virtuous circle' that illustrates how this team responded
effectively to critical incidents."

Oliver and Roos "Dealing with the unexpected: Critical incidents in the LEGO
Mindstorms team" Human Relations 56(9): 1057.

http://hum.sagepub.com/cgi/reprint/56/9/1057

Interesting reading (I have only skimmed it so far)

Larry Whitman
larry.whitman@wichita.edu