 Robotics / 2393
Re: Ideas for a Science Fair Project
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 6 Jan 1999 01:07:13 GMT

Putting together Legos isn't likely to impress the judges, but using a Lego
creation could well be nifty.

I propose the following: make a robot that will throw a paper airplane.

The study is in how the design of a paper airplane changes its flight
distance.  Of couse, your son will have to come up with a theory, designs
some planes to test it, you know the rest.

The beauty of using a robot to throw the plane is that the force, etc. is
somewhat constant compared to a human throwing it.

Regards,
  Jim

GK Khalsa wrote in message <3690354E.CECF1975@objectrad.com>...
My son's science fair is coming up, and was wondering if there
might be any suggestions for a project using Mindstorms?

Although my son is only 7, he is very bright and loves legos.
Also, his school encourages parent participation in these
projects to an embarrassing degree.  So, rather that have him
investigate whether bean plants grow better with or without
sunlight, why not get involved in a slightly bigger project?

So, could anyone suggest a good project?  I'd like to put
it into the scientific experiment framework, like "can a
robot be programmed to make a bed" or some such thing.
We can go outside the RCX if we have to.  The more
experimental, the better, I think.