 Robotics / 23929
Re: Robotic simulators
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 27 Apr 2005 02:40:09 GMT

hi Tim --

--- Tim Gould <t.gould@yahoo.com>,
What I'm trying to say is that these problems are actually very difficult.
From
my own experience, trying to model accurate (numerical rather than visual
which
is a little harder) collisions is very hard too. This is basically because
you
are trying to model an impulse with very quick behaviour in time for
something
that otherwise would skip such small timesteps.

Unfortunately, many problems which can be put so succinctly on paper,
become
horrible to work with numerically, but cannot be solved without numerics.
This
is the bane of Applied Mathematics in general.

Just so I understand...  LDD (from what I can tell, it runs very buggy on my
XP machine) is similar to MLcad with the added feature that you can
test-drive movable parts (like a tecnic linkage -- not sure MLcad can or
not).  The problem with linkages would seem to be multiple solutions -- but
if you start with a user-specified position, it seems like you should be
able to compute it without ambiguity.

What you're saying was so difficult is collisions, so do you mean like
actual parts moving around and bumping into each other?

I feel like I'm missing something.  This is starting to sound like one of
those things where you just don't get how messy it is until you try to
actually code it.  Yum!

-dbm

"Be afraid.  Be very afraid!"  -- Geena Davis' character, in "The Fly"