 Robotics / 23697
RE: FLL not allowing NQC; Mindscript is allowed
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 15 Mar 2005 00:23:04 GMT

As a robotics teacher and FLL coach who teaches kids from 7-15 all year
'round, I find ROBOLAB just great.  And, while dating myself somewhat, I've
programmed with BASIC, FORTRAN, PL/I, and a few other languages.

And while I'm the sort that can program in HTML, I'd rather take
Dreamweaver's layout design and write only the code that's necessary.

I think kids learn the same programming logic, but a lot more easily with
the graphical interface.  As far as I'm concerned they can learn C++ on
someone else's shift, but they'll have the logic and algorithm skills
already in place to do that.

We haven't discovered one thing yet that we couldn't do in ROBOLAB.  And
that's counting the 7-year-olds through the 15-year-olds.  I kinda like that
flexibility!!!

And while some have cited the fact that they can use as many LEGO parts in
whatever colors they want, until 2002, that wasn't true.  There was a very
specific list of parts you could use, and that was it -- colors included.
It was basically an RIS set, extra motor, light sensor, light, and a few
other parts.  Nothing else was allowed; nothing, nada.

And, being an organized rule-oriented, data-driven person, I appreciate the
attempt at the level playing field and the rules set forth by FLL.  What I
don't like is following all the rules, asking questions of FLL, and showing
up at tournaments where other coaches think the rules are just guidelines to
be broken.

I don't mind a challenge or limitations -- what I do mind is people who
think that the world revolves around them and their desire to win at all
costs and devil take the hindmost.  Or those that just get bent because
there ARE rules...

And our team went home with runner-up for the Director's award, a Robot
Design trophy where they really had 2nd place, and without the Research
trophy they took first for.

Life happens.  Life is NOT fair.  It's not worth getting upset about.

Liz