 Robotics / 23680
Re: AFOL/Mindstorms stagnation (Was Re: FLL not allowing NQC)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sun, 13 Mar 2005 02:42:49 GMT

--- Steve Baker <sjbaker1@airmail.net> wrote:
After all, there is a definite limit to the amount
of Lego parts you need to build robots that are as
complex as your time/imagination allows.

I have worked on this aspect specifically, augmenting
tires and working out how to build strong structures
so that my current effort is as big or bigger than any
other competitor in the club. Imagine a LEGO robot
that can carry 52+ AA size batteries without
complaining! It has two grippers and an articulated
arm. Making the articulated arm completely out of LEGO
was impossible, so I have had to add my own
specialized parts and servo motors. I wish LEGO would
support this type of effort!

I have found need for specialized parts in
accomplishing this that are not simply available from
LEGO. At this point, it is more complex than standard
LEGO will allow, so I am having to compromise and find
ways of dealing with 'issues'. I'm working with mouse
encoders because LEGO rotation sensors are so
expensive. I can buy 2 PIC micros and the old mice
guts cheaper than one rotation sensor! That is only
when you can find one! LEGO should do more to help
those of us who want more... IMHO

I'm sure that there are those on this list that would
actually design parts so there is no R&D cost for LEGO
if they wanted to produce them, well, very small R&D
costs.

Oh well, some say I'm an optimist?