 Robotics / 23500
Re: Lift Systems
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 14 Feb 2005 21:21:35 GMT

One more thing - the RCX is good for only low-power applications. Never
use it for heavy lifting. In the new version, instead of that tangle of
wires you can see on the photo page, we have the RCX directly
controlling them, and an IR remote. The drive system is wired to a 9.6v
battery, and they are controlled by a homemade wired control box, using
three switches I got from a semi-retired guy who has just about
everything in his basement. (one for each tread, forward and back, and
one for the lifting motor.) If you'd like, I can draw you a diagram of
what the circuit looks like and send it to you. Each motor you're
controlling requires a DPTT (double-pole triple-throw, meaning that the
switch has 3 positions, and each position closes 2 circuits at once).
The design also requires a Huge Ball of Solder to get power to the
motors through all the switches, since each switch needs 4 wires running
to it from the battery - a positive and a negative for each position in
which the circuit is closed, of which there are 2, forward and backward.

Follow me, or are you hopelessly lost? :)