 Robotics / 23241
Re: Uses for tacho wheel?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 6 Jan 2005 19:26:13 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Brian Davis wrote:
Attempt #2 at this post...

   I recently aquired (via the "grab bags" at LEGO stores - wonderful idea,
second only to PaB for me) two of the "tacho wheels":

http://www.peeron.com/inv/parts/x480

I've played with them only a little, but how do you *use* these things? I'd
download the barcode truck instructions to see what LEGO did, but an 88 Mb PDF
file over my dialup is, um... it could take a while. Can these be used to
activate a touch sensor? Other gears?
   There's got to be *some* (non-decorative) use for them - heck, Pitsco even
sells spare parts packs with 'em.

Whilst white tacho wheels were used by the barcode truck for speed sensing (on
the truck for variable engine rev sounds), the Star Wars UCS X-Wing used grey
ones on the cannons(?) on the wings.

Tacho wheels have 8 slots that will hold flex tubes or rods of the same profile.
If you use 8 long flex tubes in a tacho wheel, the wheel will form the hub of a
circular dome.

I also experimented with a tacho wheel holding the ends of the eight optic
fibres from the unit that came with the space shuttle 8480.

http://www.peeron.com/inv/parts/6637

That means your tacho wheel could form part of a warp drive or something
similar!

Another possible use is as an escapement wheel in a clock, with two prongs
alternately filling gaps on opposite sides as a pendulum swings and the wheel
takes 16 steps to rotate fully.

Mark