 Robotics / 23239
RE: Uses for tacho wheel?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 5 Jan 2005 14:48:52 GMT

If you point a light sensor at them, you can use them as a rotation
sensor.

They are also available in one of the NBA basketball sets.  If memory
serves, they used it as a gear that was part of a ratchet mechanism to
keep the wind-up motor from running.

-----Original Message-----
From: news-gateway@lugnet.com
[mailto:news-gateway@lugnet.com] On Behalf Of Brian Davis
Sent: Wednesday, January 05, 2005 9:34 AM
To: lego-robotics@crynwr.com
Subject: Uses for tacho wheel?

Attempt #2 at this post...

   I recently aquired (via the "grab bags" at LEGO stores -
wonderful idea, second only to PaB for me) two of the "tacho wheels":

http://www.peeron.com/inv/parts/x480

I've played with them only a little, but how do you *use*
these things? I'd download the barcode truck instructions to
see what LEGO did, but an 88 Mb PDF file over my dialup is,
um... it could take a while. Can these be used to activate a
touch sensor? Other gears?
   There's got to be *some* (non-decorative) use for them -
heck, Pitsco even sells spare parts packs with 'em.

--
Brian Davis