 Robotics / 23218
  balancing bot

hi all-- lately I've been playing with legway-inspired ideas. After much frustration, I'm finally getting some results using a standard lego light sensor with some custom enhancements (not taking it apart, just adding a lens and a light source). At (...) (20 years ago, 30-Dec-04, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: balancing bot

Hi Dan, (...) I have also been playing with it the last week or so and got it to work. At the end I used Steve's legway.c program with everything except the balancing removed and used the raw sensor values, tweaked a bit. That together with two (...) (20 years ago, 30-Dec-04, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: balancing bot

(...) You may have a look to YAL: (URL) (20 years ago, 30-Dec-04, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: balancing bot

(...) There was one design out there that works with standard Lego - but it has (IIRC) two light sensors out on long booms in front and behind the robot. At those distances from the pivot point, they move a much larger distance than if they are (...) (20 years ago, 30-Dec-04, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: balancing bot

(...) ...and here is a NQC sample code that works on YAL, using Dick Swan's fast firmware. Try it on a clear color surface (not necessarily even, some patterns help stabilize position) with overhead diffuse lighting. YAL must be started balanced (...) (20 years ago, 30-Dec-04, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: balancing bot

thanks much for the links! Using a mod of Frederic Siva's code, I've managed to get my bot somewhat stable. It wobbles around like a drunken sailor but basically stays up. I've got a movie file of it careening around the floor for about a minute (...) (20 years ago, 30-Dec-04, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: balancing bot

this looks similar to the logic I got working. I tweaked the parameters (equiv. to a,b,c in your code) and it's much more stable now. Interestingly, I have to set 'b' very high, about 2X of what 'a' is set to -- most code I've seen is just the (...) (20 years ago, 31-Dec-04, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: balancing bot

I recently implemented a new motor control "source" specifically targeted at PID algorithms in the new firmware. It takes a signed number in the range -128 to +128 and converts it into a motor control command. -128 to -1 is reverse direction and (...) (20 years ago, 31-Dec-04, to lugnet.robotics)