 Robotics / 22948
Re: Best / cheapest way to buy Mindstorms
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 1 Nov 2004 02:53:52 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Yosef Beck wrote:
I was just at one of the Lego Outlet stores near me and they didn't
have any mindstorms except for a couple of RIS 2.0's. I asked the guy
behind the counter & he said he didn't have anything on order and didn't
know of anything in the works. :-(
I sure hope LEGO doesn't kill mindstorms & is fazing them out :'( .
    Sorry for the bad news guys.
-Yo

I just got e-mail from Lego Customer Service that a dead-on-arrival RCX will
take up to 3 weeks to replace because it is on back order. That is actually a
very good sign.

A while back, research showed that adults account for about 60% of Mindstorm
sales.  This means RIS customers have jobs and can afford to buy their own toys.
Also, the RCX is only now beginning to enter the school curriculum in the US.
In the Portland Oregon area, several middle and high schools have robotics
programs based on the RCX.  Their success in fielding noteworthy First Lego
League teams is spreading the word.

Of course, further success might depend on adults taking kids by the hand and
teaching then robotics and programming.  It's not exactly a child's toy.

- Edwin