 Robotics / 22864
Re: Lego Compatible (was Re: JCX and Legos...)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sun, 19 Sep 2004 20:58:15 GMT

Wayne

I, too, am one of the many people who has invested
far more time and money on a robotics product line
than I have received back in renumeration.

Me too. My "Brainibot" - an ultra-cheap robot - has sold between 1000 and
2000 and I still haven't recovered my development costs. If I add it up,
I'd have been better off working at MacDonalds. However my next project ...

At least now it's being sold by one of the major educational suppliers and
I no longer have to put hundreds of components into little plastic bags.
That's soul-destroying work and I'd recommend you get someone else to do it
for you as soon as possible.

When you add in all of the hours needed for customer
support,

I enjoy the customer support. Most of the feedback is positive which makes
up for the lack of profit. And at least 50% of the good ideas have come
from customers.

documentation, testing, order full fillment, etc.,

Does anyone ever read the documentation? I suspect that people like to know
it's there but never actually open it. In fact most of my "customer
support" is me saying 'you'll find that on page 5 of the manual ...'.

You strive to make a product as well tested and well documented as Lego's
but it's amazing what the sort of customers you and I are selling to are
prepared to put up with.

Best wishes for the project.

Peter