 Robotics / 22858
Re: Lego Compatible (was Re: JCX and Legos...)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sat, 18 Sep 2004 00:38:36 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, PeterBalch <PeterBalch@compuserve.com> wrote:

Wayne

[snip advertisement warning]

It isn't easy to get low volume products to market.
But be forwarned that it is not easy task.

Any words of wisdom?

Every time I meet someone who's designing and selling robotic stuff I ask
them if they make a profit from it. So far, all have looked a bit sheepish
and admitted they don't. But with their next product ...

Peter:

I, too, am one of the many people who has invested
far more time and money on a robotics product line
than I have received back in renumeration.

For me, I did not get into a robotics product line because
I wanted to make a lot of money.  While I am not adverse
to making lots of money, the primary reason for doing
RoboBRiX was because I was exceedingly frustrated
with the limitations of the RCX and wanted something
much, much better.  In the process of building something
better for me, a number of members of our local robotics
club said `hey, this is neat; you should sell this stuff'
and suddently I found myself in "getting a product line
out the door mode".  All personal robot building has
come to screeching halt for the past two years.  Sigh.

In terms of words of wisdom, I'm not sure that any
words of wisdom from me are worth that much,
since I have not really succeeded in turning a profit
yet.

I guess the most useful insight I have is that the
actual product engineering (i.e. the fun part) is a
rather small part of the entire productization task.
When you add in all of the hours needed for
documentation, testing, order full fillment, customer
support, etc., the engineering component is
really kind of small.  If this seems like a suprising
result, then I guess maybe it is a useful insight
to pass along.

Later,

-Wayne