 Robotics / 22749
Re: Future Mindstorm Releases?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 1 Sep 2004 01:00:51 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Steve Hassenplug wrote:
In lugnet.robotics, Ralph Toepper wrote:
Rumors say, danger exists, LEGO could take the robotic products, like the RIS,
out of their production line. Indicated by no successor to RIS 2.0 is in sight.

LEGO (and Jake) have been very clear.  The Mindstorms line is not going away.

They serve an education market. Education markets have relatively slow rates of
selling items. But they are throughout constant, because new folks are growing
at a relativly constant rate.

LEGO, like the educational market, moves very slow.  There is too much $ in the
edcuational market to just drop the line.

My take on what I have seen and heard is;

Mindstorms is not dead, as Jake confirmed at BrickFest.

I suspect that the legacy of RIS compatibilty will force RIS 3.0, if that is
what its to be called, to be an enhancement of RIS 1.0/1.5/2.0. I doubt they'll
do much to invalidate investment in existing RCX bricks.

What I do think may happen is you'll see a few more sensor types. I think the
light sensor and rotation sensor may be joined by a couple of additional devices
in 3.0. The single biggest difficulty in executing the kinds of challenges that
the FLL guys do is being able to truely "sense" the arena. The RIS limitations
are contrary to real engineering and science and I think budding young engineers
and scientists need to have a little more flexibility.

And more sensor types are an easier financial upgrade to the existing customer
base. And its the single most popular aftermarket offering I've seen for
Mindstorms so far. I think TLC takes note of these kinds of things.

That's my two pence worth

JB