 Robotics / 22736
Re: Spybots
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 31 Aug 2004 03:37:14 GMT

"Joe Strout" <joe@strout.net> wrote:

I don't know (I'm just a newbie), but I for one would like to learn more about
what exactly these spybots can do, how you interface with them, how you program
them, etc.  I've looked before, and found a real dearth of information on that.

Hardware wise, they have two motors, a touch sensor, and several
light/IR sensors.  They can hold one program at a time.  They use a
serial connected interface that uses light (not sure if its IR or not)
for program transfer.  There is no USB connection.  You can't control
them with a normal serial connection.  You cannot replace the
firmware.

They can be programmed with either Mindscript or NQC.  They can talk
to an RCX, and an RCX can talk to them.  They have an interesting
ability to communicate with other Spybots.  You may be able to use the
VLL programming with them, but I don't know anything about that.

All four colors have the same brains/processors, only the other parts
(gears, wheels, beams, etc.) are different.

There are 4 ways that I have found to learn about Mindscript (and by
extension, programming Spybots).  First is the SDK on the LEGO website
(http://mindstorms.lego.com/sdk2point5/default.asp). Second is the
NQC/Bricxcc documentation.  The third source is Robofesta UK, which
has a tutorial at http://robofesta.open.ac.uk/lsc/.  Last is the Smart
Parts website (http://users.ncable.net.au/~blane/smartParts/), which
has the ugly distinction of forcing you to use Internet Explorer or
shut off javascript. For no apparent reason.

You can drive the spybot with a remote, or use the remote to augment
programmed behavior.  Unfortunately, there are only 3 communication
channels, so you can only have 3 spybots being driven by remotes in
one area.  This is a drag because there are 4 different models.
Someone wasn't thinking when they made that decision.

There doesn't seem to be any simple way of interfacing additional
sensors.

Hmm, what else?  Nominally, the Spybotics product line is a hybrid
between a computer game and a real life game using a remote control
robot.  You are a Secret Agent for SMART (don't remember what that
stands for) and you go on "missions" with your spybot.  When you hook
your spybot back up to the computer, it uploads your performance
scores and you get points.  Earn enough points and you get higher
security clearance and harder missions.  It's all pretty cool, really.
Some missions require more than one spybot, though I don't know if
they work together or in competition.  You can design your own
missions, and that's about all my two sons have done for the last 3
days.

There aren't many spybot web sites, which seems really odd.  The
easiest way to learn about them is to just get one and play with it.
It should set you back somewhere around $35-40 US not including
shipping if you look hard enough.  Normal retail is $60.

That's about all I know.  My favorite is Gigamesh, but I could become
a Snaptrax fan without much effort.

-Jon Gilchrist