 Robotics / 22655
22654  |  22656
Subject:
Range of RCX sound production
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 18 Aug 2004 16:16:38 GMT

   In the "what other weird questions can Brian Davis come up with", here's one
I've not been able to locate on any website (including the Mindstorms Internals
site), and I can't test it easily with my ear:
   What's the frequency range for the RCX sound production?
   By playing a tone and then increasing it till I lost the sound. It remains
loud & clear until about 5000 Hz (PlayTone(5000,100);), and then seems to get
softer, but is still audible at 7.3 kHz. Beyond there there's still sound being
produced weakly (to my ears) to 15 kHz, with a distinct "click" audible between
tones. Between 15 kHz & 17.3 kHz there is still a trace of sound, but very very
weak and (again, to my ears) atonal. Above 17.3 kHz, I hear only the "click"
between tones, and above 20 kHz this ceases abruptly. Note that usually I can
hear the tone put out by a TV without a signal going in (26 kHz? IMS, & it
probably doesn't), but the scan tone from a TV is rather loud (I don't hear it
that way, but measuring the audio power shows it's a "loud" source).
   So, does anybody have a audio spectrum analyser handy, and can see just what
the RCX is putting out at these very high frequencies (it would be great to have
something like a graph of power vs. frequency).
   The low end is easier - it seems to make sound (OK, a series of clicks) down
to right around 32 Hz, cutting off below that.

--
Brian Davis