 Robotics / 22611
Re: Pneumatics Vs. Hydraulics
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sat, 31 Jul 2004 17:08:08 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Jon Gilchrist wrote:
Some of this is not right, some is not very clear.  I've been working
in fluid valve design for 14 years.  Let me clarify a couple things.

On Wed, 28 Jul 2004 05:28:11 GMT, lego-robotics@crynwr.com (Mr S)
wrote:

I don't think that pressure shares the same fluid
dynamics as liquids.

First, some definitions.  Pressure is a force, fluid is a type of
medium, and liquid is a type of fluid.  To say "pressure shares the
same fluid dynamics as liquids." is like saying that voltage shares
the same properties as copper.  I think you meant "I don't think that
gases share the same fluid dynamics as liquids" which is correct, they
don't.  Similar, but with differences.

Certainly on the larger scale,
fluid works much better at evenly distributing

I think "fluid" here must mean hydraulic fluid, a liquid.

pressure even though pnuematic systems are capable of
very strong movements indeed. The viscosity of
hydraulic fluid is such that it does not compress well
where air does compress.

Yes.  This is one of the fundamental differences between hydraulic
(liquid, whether oil or water) and pneumatic (air or other gases)
systems.  Hydraulics are essentially incompressible.

Even on a smaller scale, the
air must compress a certain amount before it fluidly
distributes pressures, and that is the reason that
LEGO has the air tanks. The more stored pressure that
you have in the form of compressed air, the more work
you can do with the LEGO pnuematics.

No.  Compression has nothing to do with distribution of pressure.  The
pressure is distributed in a fluid system because of the nature of the
fluid to exert pressure evenly in all directions, not because it
compresses.

The air tanks are used as a reservoir to store volumes of compressed
air, because each actuation of a cylinder exhausts some air into the
atmosphere.  The air tank in an air system is similar to a water
tower.  It stores air and allows you to have a smaller compressor
because the tank evens out the system demand.

Fine adjustments
are capable with hydraulic systems and pnuematic
systems are used generally in open or closed
situations. If you have a need to have the valve half
open, hydraulics is your best bet. There is the
differences in a nutshell.

Fine adjustment and position feedback are difficult in both hydraulic
and pneumatic systems.  The compressibility of air further complicates
pneumatic systems.

Having the valve half-open may or may not work in a given application.
A half-open valve is a crude flow-control.  But granted, it is easier
to control flow in a hydraulic system with a half-open valve than in a
pneumatic system.  Not ideal, but it can work.  (Upon re-reading this,
I realize that it really depends on the valve design.  Some valves are
designed to use as flow controls, but most aren't.  Lego valves are
not.)

One way to change pressure in Lego pneumatics by a small amount is to switch in
a short tube (2cm) with an antenna stuck in the end.  This lets only a small
amount of air out of the cylinder, whilst not exhausting any to the atmosphere.

It is not possible to build hydraulic systems on the
scale of LEGO for the cost of LEGO. Some modelling
enthusiasts do have small scale hydraulic systems, but
they are NOT cheap.

This is probably true.  Hydraulics tend to be more expensive than
pneumatics, and more complicated.  You have more of a mess to deal
with (ever spill/spray hydraulic fluid all over a room?  How about
spraying air all over a room?  Which is the bigger mess?) with
hydraulics.  Your system needs to be tighter to eliminate leaks.  On
the other hand, you can operate at far higher pressures with
hydraulics.  A typical air system runs at around 100-250 psi.
Hydraulics go upwards of 5,000-10,000 psi.

I think the robot wars rules allow 1000psi pneumatics and 3000psi hydraulics, if
this gives some comparison.  Most roboteers use CO2 cylinders with pneumatics,
or inject liquid CO2 to get about 570 times the expansion ratio, in order to
flip other 100kg robots out of the arena.  Very few robots use hydraulics,
probably because of flammability, complexity and reliability, given that the aim
of the game is to destroy other robots.  Sadly, liquid CO2 at freezing
temperatures would ruin Lego parts!

BTW, you can make your own air tanks. The air tank in
the LEGO pnuematic systems with the two port actuators
is really only there to supply stored pressure. With a
12 or 20 ounce plastic soda bottle and some silicon
sealer, you can make a huge air tank. This makes it
possible to build a LEGO pnuematic machine which has
the capacity to do all the work needed before
recharging the tank, depending on how much work is
required, of course.

I've been meaning to do some burst tests on this.  It is possible to
overpressure a bottle and make it burst, which is an ugly and
dangerous thing.  In general, a smaller smooth bottle should be
stronger than a large dimpled one.  You can use multiple small bottles
to get the same effect, it's the volume you need, not the shape or
single container.

Hydraulic systems make use of a principle of physics
where a cylinder with a 1 inch square plate on one end
and a 10 inch square plate on the other, takes 10 psi
on the one inch side, and applies 10 psi to each of
the 10 square inches on the other end, thus giving a
power boost by a factor of 10. This is idealized, but
close to accurate, and the reason that hydraulic fluid
is such that it does not compress. Any compression of
the 'power transfer fluid' and the boost ratio is
decreased accordingly.

I found this not quite clear, but essentially correct.  It works for
both pneumatic and hydraulics.  If you exert a 10 psi pressure on a 1
square inch cylinder piston, the *force* that the piston rod exerts
will be 10 pounds.  You don't exactly get a "boost" (although there
are products that do boost pressure this way), you get a force.  But
there is a force multiplier for each cylinder that you can use to
figure out what force you get out based on what pressure you put in.
The force multiplier is equal to the piston area in square inches (or
similar units if you're working in metric).  And you do lose some
power because of compressibility, and you lose some because of the
friction of the cylinder seals.  Usually you should oversize the
system by about 20% to accomodate this.

The formula is (input pressure) X (piston area) = (output force)

For the extend stroke of a cylinder, the piston area is the area of
the bore of the cylinder.  For the return or close stroke, it's the
area of the bore minus the area of the ram.

Because of the inherent leakage in the LEGO or any
pnuematic system, it requires not only air under
pressure, but large volumes of it, replenished often
or continuously, while a hydraulic system is a closed
system that requires replenishment only rarely.

Leakage isn't exactly the right term here.  Leakage is for
unintentional losses, like around a fitting or seal.  What is being
explained is exhaust.  A pneumatic system is generally an open system
where the air is compressed, fed to an actuator, and then exhausted to
atmosphere.  So by "inherent leakage" I think you were talking about
exhaust.  And yes, pneumatic systems use huge volumes of air.
Luckily, air is cheap.

If TLC did make hydraulic parts, each valve would need to be a reverser with 4
ports, with the fourth port returning fluid to the reservoir.  The pump would
need to be immersed in the reservoir to fill with fluid.  Air bubbles would also
be a problem.

The system would have to use a non-toxic fluid such as water, since it's meant
to be a toy.  Hydraulic fluid is also highly flammable and brake fluid is the
most flammable liquid in your car (drip petrol onto the exhaust manifold and it
smokes, brake fluid flares).  Unfortunately, water is more compressable than
hydraulic fluid, but for a toy this shouldn't matter.

Is it true that water is used for point to point hydraulics but only oil is used
for variable movement?  This would make sense if water is plentiful but
compressable.  Are there examples of variable water-controlled hydraulic
systems?

Okay, see what the Captain can do?
The answer is that LEGO does NOT make hydraulic parts.

Chances are if you used real hydraulics with your LEGO parts, you'd
break a lot of parts because the forces could be very high.

I once tried using a non-return valve from the old pneumatic system to pump
water from a tank to a hose.  The valve soon expired!  I don't recommend the use
of water or any other hydraulic medium with Lego parts.

Here's some info I have determined about some LEGO pneumatic parts.
These are the current cylinder and pump designs.  All dimensions in
inches.

Pneumatics Info

Large cylinder

Bore diameter .472
Ram diameter .196
Stroke 1.101
Extend
Area = .175 sq. in.
Force @ 50 psi = 8.75 lbs.
Force @ 10 psi = 1.75 lbs.
Displacement = .193 cu. in.
Retract
Area = .145 sq. in.
Force @ 50 psi = 7.24 lbs.
Force @ 10 psi = 1.45 lbs.
Displacement = .159 cu. in.

Small cylinder

Bore .229
Ram .125
Stroke .595
Extend
Area = .041 sq. in.
Force @ 50 psi = 2.06 lbs.
Force @ 10 psi = .41 lbs.
Displacement = .025 cu. in.
Retract
Area = .029 sq. in.
Force @ 50 psi = 1.45 lbs.
Force @ 10 psi = .29 lbs.
Displacement = .017 cu. in.

Large pump

Stroke =.976
Bore .472
Displacement = .171 cu. in.

Small pump

Stroke =.667
Bore .229
Displacement = .027 cu. in.

Useful info!  I think Kevin should use this to calculate the number of cylinders
for his scorpion.

It occurs to me now that the small pump is probably double-acting (it
pumps in both directions).  I don't have data for it in the other
direction, but it should be trivial to determine.

I don't think it is.  The ones I have aren't.

I don't have the numbers handy, but I think the large pump can
generate somewhere between 50 and 60 psi.  I still need to test the
small pump.

I run Lego pneumatics off a car tyre air compressor at 25psi (30psi for short
periods only).  I think much more than that would break the seals. Therefore get
the one with the variable pressure limit if you can.

The cylinder probably needs a bit of extra pressure capacity since the system
suffers from the balon effect of only flexible hoses are used.  Use flex tubing
for straight bits wherever possible.

-Jon Gilchrist

Mark