 Robotics / 22602
  Re: Pneumatics Vs. Hydraulics

(...) I wonder whether the viscosity of fluids scale reasonably? It's easy to imagine that the losses involved in forcing hydraulic oil through a tube with only one or two millimeter cross-sections would be huge compared to the real-world device. I (...) (20 years ago, 28-Jul-04, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Pneumatics Vs. Hydraulics

I don't think that pressure shares the same fluid dynamics as liquids. Certainly on the larger scale, fluid works much better at evenly distributing pressure even though pnuematic systems are capable of very strong movements indeed. The viscosity of (...) (20 years ago, 28-Jul-04, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Pneumatics Vs. Hydraulics

Some of this is not right, some is not very clear. I've been working in fluid valve design for 14 years. Let me clarify a couple things. (...) First, some definitions. Pressure is a force, fluid is a type of medium, and liquid is a type of fluid. To (...) (20 years ago, 29-Jul-04, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Pneumatics Vs. Hydraulics

(...) One way to change pressure in Lego pneumatics by a small amount is to switch in a short tube (2cm) with an antenna stuck in the end. This lets only a small amount of air out of the cylinder, whilst not exhausting any to the atmosphere. (...) I (...) (20 years ago, 31-Jul-04, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Pneumatics Vs. Hydraulics

(...) I'm not clear on this. It sounds interesting, I just can't picture how it's done. Where does the tube go? Is it acting like a little variable volume reservoir? (...) I agree completely here. Hydraulics would be *much* more complicated, (...) (20 years ago, 2-Aug-04, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Pneumatics Vs. Hydraulics

(...) Take two valves, two 2cm tubes with an antenna stuck in the end, a 8cm tube and input and output tubes. Arrange the valves so that they switch together, using "1" joints on their levers, connected by a liftarm (centres 32mm apart for old (...) (20 years ago, 2-Aug-04, to lugnet.robotics)