 Robotics / 22536
Re: Motor-powered transmission
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics, lugnet.technic
Date:
Tue, 1 Jun 2004 04:15:51 GMT

Tiago,

For the steering, I am thinking that you should use a Touch sensor to
detect when the steering is center.  Attach something to the rack that
will depress the touch sensor when the rack is centered.

If you need to detect the turn rate (how far the rack is from center),
then you might need to use a light sensor.  You might be able to mount
the light sensor or a strip of multi-colored plates to the rack.  As the
rack moves, the light sensor will detect the different colors, thus
giving you a way to count the distance from center.

For example, if you would use a black plate 1x2 (or tile) for the
center.  Then use a white plate 1x2 on each side of the first, then
another couple black, then another couple white... etc... depending on
how large a rack gear you are using.  Center the light sensor during
calibration, then count the color changes to the left or right.

You may be able to use different colors to represent specific turn
angles.  For example, Black is centered; white is left (shallow turn),
yellow is right (shallow turn), sand red is left (sharp turn), etc...

I hope I have explained this clearly (enough); and that it is helpful.

// Joe

Tiago Bittencourt Silva wrote:
Hi everyone,

I´m trying to build a LEGO Mindstorms car with a motor-powered transmission. I
only want two or three gears, nothing too much complex for the start.

I builded the transmission from the chapter 14 of the book "Building Robots with
LEGO Mindstorms" (Mario and Giulio Ferrari), but it isn´t working very well...
The 8-tooth gear is always sliping and I need to add a sensor to detect how far
the motor can go. Does anyone have a better idea for a simple transmission like
that? Or can help me improve my design?

By the way, in this car I also want to use a rack-and-pinion steering system.
I´m using one from a set I have (use some specialized parts, but is very
simple). I´m having also the problem of putting a sensor to detect the center
(neutral steering).

Thanks

Tiago B. Silva