 Robotics / 22417
22416  |  22418
Subject:
PC without serial port
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 20 Apr 2004 20:32:56 GMT

Juan

I'm going to use a USB-serial adapter.

Beware. We bought one of every kind of USB-serial adapter we could find in
the local computer shops. All used the same Windows dirvers (even though
the adapters were of different makes) and all could fail and corrupted the
C: drive FAT and boot records (making the drives unreadable).

This was repeatable on the three computers we were prepared to test those
*&#%! adapters on. (As you can tell, I was somewhat peeved.)

The way to make them fail is to close the serial port while streaming data
in - nose-to-tail bytes at 9600 would do the trick. XP and 2000 were both
affected.

30% of the time we'd get the Blue Screen of Death and 5% of times, we'd get
a corrupted C: drive. Of course, the first time it happened, it blasted my
main computer!

So beware.

My advice is: only use adapters with digitally signed drivers certified by
Microsoft - but we could find any!

Peter