 Robotics / 22258
Re: Max-picking LIDAR
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 4 Mar 2004 01:57:52 GMT

In lugnet.org.us.lrgoaa, Brian Davis wrote:
   After the NEIRG games this past weekend, Jona asked me for the details on how
I did proximity detection, and in case my findings might be interesting I'm
posting them here.

.. major snippage ...

Nice work! Although I like building custom sensors, I also really enjoy the
ingenuity of people working with what's available.

I have a question which may help others duplicate your work - did you expressly
ensure the RCX IR "range" setting was set to "long"?

As a matter of interest, what effect does continuous message transmission have
on battery life?

Also, did you know you can format up your own messages under RCX2 firmware?
Would you be able to transmit a shorter message using less power and format it
to be a couple of FFs (or 00s - whichever causes continuous transmission of
bits) and be more certain about detecting refelections?

As an observation, two Sumo bots doing this kind of detection would cause some
interesting results wouldn't they :)

best and keep up the good work

JB