 Robotics / 22248
Re: Sense and grab robot
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 26 Feb 2004 03:55:34 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, pspencer@WPI.EDU wrote:
Hey guys,

I am relatively new to the lego scene, but have been digging in with all
that I have. I am teaching a class to 4th-6th graders on Saturday
mornings, and have been building some basic light sensor and touch sensor
bots with the RCX and Robolab. I feel as if it is time to let thier
imaginations take control, but I want to keep some structure to their
bots.

I came up with the idea of a type of botball activity. The bots will sense
a bunch of white and black balls, and depending on how it is programmed,
either pick up the black or white balls. Does anyone have any ideas on
some design? Or know of where I would find something that does this?
Thanks a lot

Yours in lego-ing,

Pat Spencer

The light sensor that comes with the main set can easily tell the difference
between a white and a black ball. I'm not sure how complex of a robot you are
wanting your class to build, however, a small grabber on the front of a rover
would be able to pull this off, a robotic arm would also work. I built this
robot:

http://www.dratrobotics.com/mrauf/mrauf.html

The actual robot might be to complex, however, the grabber at the end would be
capable of grabbing and seeing the balls. It could easily be attached to a
different robot. The motor used in the actual grabber is different then the ones
that come with the RCX, but it should not be to hard to modify to work with the
RCX ones. If nothing else it might give you some ideas. These two pictures show
the grabber:

http://www.dratrobotics.com/mrauf/mraufb10.html
http://www.dratrobotics.com/mrauf/mraufb11.html

Mainly just check to see what the light sensors value is for the white ball and
the black ball. Then just have the RCX close the grabber when it reads those
values. One thing to keep in mind is that the values will change depending on
ambient lighting.

Well I hope that helps.

Daron