 Robotics / 22167
22166  |  22168
Subject:
Spybotics VLL & NQC
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics, lugnet.robotics.spybotics
Date:
Sat, 31 Jan 2004 20:46:21 GMT

Hi,

I'm having a frustrating time again!

I've given up on trying to read the Spybotic controller
and have turned my attention to the VLL cable.

Can anyone help me with setting up comms between an old
laptop PC and a Spybotic pBrick,  all I want to do is
send and receive small packets of data between the
RS232 port and a Spybotic under program control (6 bits
would do)

I have tried sending direct commands (using various baud
rates, word lengths, parity and packet formats) and got
no response from the Spybotic.

I have sussed out that the DTR & RTS lines are used to
power the VLL adapter, should these be set differently
for send and receive?

I have tried the serial comms functions in NQC without
any success.

Should SetSerialChannel(SERIAL_CHANNEL_PC) set the
serial channel to the VLL port or does it switch to
the channel for the IR tower?

I've even tried building an 11 bit package (1 start,
8 data, 1 parity & 1 stop) and shifting the bits out
using SetLED(VLL_MODE_ON, data & 0x01).

The RS232 port on the computer is under direct hardware
control using Borland Turbo C.

The Spybotics, Bricx & NQC all work perfectly together,
it's only when I try to set up comms between the Spybotic
and the laptop that it all falls down.

I sorry to have gone on like this but I've run out of
ideas

Thankyou
John