 Robotics / 2211
Re: Automatic Gain Control
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sun, 3 Jan 1999 21:18:02 GMT

Here's Anders Isaksson's anwer to the automatic gain control question. He
emailed it to me directly but gave permission to post it, since I don't
think many people know this:

Could it be that the AGC value is a measure for the distance between the
tower and the Cybermaster? Would the data you have gathered support this?

No, I would say definitely not. To me it seems like the tower increases the
power when it has to retransmit, and tries to lower the power when
everything works. So the reading is only connected to 'connection quality' I
think. We had the highest reading with a short distance (3m) but the toilet
(pipes and water) was between the tower and the MU. Going upstairs to the
other end of the house lowered the reading again (and moving the MU just
near the tower showed the lowest reading).

By the way, can you get _out of the house_ with the tower inside and still • control
the Cybermaster??

Well, we weren't actually outside, but we could go anywhere in the house
(haven't tested the basement). But my house is old - only wood and such
materials in the walls.

Anders Isaksson, Sweden
Gallery:   http://user.tninet.se/~hbh828t/gallery.htm

Visit my site on Lego, Robot's and Visual Basic at
http://home.concepts.nl/~bvandam/index.html