 Robotics / 22036
22035  |  22037
Subject:
Robo Waiter - a BrickFest PDX Robot competition
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics, lugnet.events.brickfest, lugnet.robotics.events
Date:
Tue, 13 Jan 2004 18:46:37 GMT
Highlighted:
!! (details)

Announcing a robot competition for BrickFest PDX...

Robo Waiter: Line tracking while carrying mini-soccer balls
-----------

Build a Robotic Waiter that can carry a tray full of mini Lego soccer balls (or
equivalently, basket balls) around a track. Loosing balls from your tray will
add a time penalty. The Robo Waiter with the lowest time (including penalties),
WINS! A second prize will be given to the best dressed, functioning robot.

Each robot will have three chances to attempt the course. Only the best time
counts.

The robot must carry seven (7) balls on a tray, which must be the highest point
on your robot at all times. The tray is a 6x6 square plate, with four tiles
covering the middle 4x4 area, two 1x4 and two 1x6 plates forming the lip of the
tray. See
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/David/SMART/Samples/plate.gif

Loosing the first ball will add 5 seconds to your score. Each additional ball
lost will add n*5 more seconds to your score.

Balls Ball         Total
Lost  Penalty      Penalty
  1   5 seconds    5 seconds
  2  10 seconds   15 seconds
  3  15 seconds   30 seconds
  4  20 seconds   50 seconds
  5  25 seconds   75 seconds
  6  30 seconds  105 seconds
  7  35 seconds  140 seconds

Robots must be built of only standard Lego elements, and only with standard
building methods. No custom sensors, modified elements, or gluing, etc.

The tray must be the highest point on your robot at all times. Robots must be no
larger than 12 inches by 12 inches. There are no other restrictions on how many
or what elements may be used by your robot.

The line will be a closed loop, using 3/4" black tape on a white surface. Each
line segment will be at least 6" long, and the sharpest turn will be 60 degrees.
Robots will complete three laps or circuits of this loop per attempt.

Robots that entirely leave the line at any point will be given an DNC (did not
complete) instead of a score for that round. Any robot unable to complete a
single circuit within a minute will also be given an DNC.

The main prize is for the fastest waiter. There will also be a second prize for
the "Best Dressed Robo Waiter". Note that the robot for this prize must be a
*functioning* robot! It must be able to carry a tray of balls around the course
at least once.

Good luck!

--
  David Schilling