 Robotics / 2199
Re: RCX 2.0 -- ideas.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sun, 3 Jan 1999 16:13:34 GMT

On Thu, 31 Dec 1998 14:15:51 GMT, Jakob Nebeker wrote:

1.  More connections.  At least 4 outputs and 4 inputs.  The way it is
right now, a robot that drives around can't really do much else, given
that there is only one output to spare for a light or a motor.  Another
inut would also be nice, but not as badly needed as the output.

How about an I2C bus, AFAIK an industry standard, low-cost serial,
daisy-chain bus (connect one piece to the next, from there on to the
next etc) on which you can address a large number of devices (input and
output), including displays, keyboards, other RCX units, PCs (via the
parallel port) etc etc...

A standard RS232 connection to the RCX would be useful too. I drained
the 9V battery of the IR tower in one week - I *hate* throwing away
money and binning (in the recycle bin of course, but still) polluting
things like batteries.

A standard IRDA interface would be neat too, so I can talk to the thing
with my Psion Series 5 at 115K2 baud.

2.  Smaller size.
3.  Lighter.

Make the batteries an optional add-on in a lego-style brick, in case
you use a power supply. Even better would be a Lithium battery, of
course.

bfn, Wouter
Disclaimer: my employer doesn't know what I'm talking about and that's
a good thing (tm).