 Robotics / 21952
Re: IR Tower and Hyperthreading
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 7 Jan 2004 02:28:39 GMT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Mike Thorn" <buachaille@neo.rr.com>
To: <lego-robotics@crynwr.com>
Sent: Tuesday, January 06, 2004 6:14 PM
Subject: RE: IR Tower and Hyperthreading

At 10:41 AM 1/6/2004, you wrote:
Here is what LEGO should be doing right now:

1)  Putting something up on their website that acknowledges there is a
problem, that they are working on it, and a planned target date for
resolution.

The problem is that they never promised to support XP. The only thing
listed is 98/ME. In fact, they explicitly say 2K and NT are _not_
supported.

XP Home was shipping on brand new PC's when RIS 2.0 came out.  Developers
have access to beta and development versions of OS's prior to their release.
There is no excuse.

NT4 doesn't have USB support.  All of the LEGO Mindstorms software will work
on Windows 2000 and XP, regardless of what LEGO says.

I'll save the rant for some other time and just say that they should fire
the person (if there even is one) who is in charge of technical development
and support for Mindstorms software.

In the meantime, those of you having problems could try disabling
Hyperthreading in the BIOS, which should effectively disable it in
Windows XP.

Everywhere this is mentioned, someone says you have to reinstall windows
after doing this...is that true?

I don't know.  I don't have a hyper-threading system.  I'm just speculating
and taking an guess based on experience.  XP does a system check when it is
hyper-threading back on in BIOS and all should be well.  (NOTE:  You try
this at your own risk!)

If it doesn't then there are other things to try.  But, I would need access
to a system that has this RIS problem so I could find a fix.  Everything I
can think of beyond that will put system data at risk.

Thanks for the help, it's really appreciated! :)

No problem.  It would be a lot easier if I had one of the motherboards and
processors that this problem is on.  If someone in the New York City area is
experiencing this problem, please send an email to:

                               support at abs-robotics.com  (Replace "at"
with "@")

Please put "near NYC" in the subject line.

Thanks,

- Rob